Both the Mental Health Act Review and NHS Long Term Plan draw on the Five Year Forward View’s ambition for people in mental health crisis to be treated promptly, with the least restrictive option, close to home; care should be available 24 hours per day, every day. The NHS Long Term Plan also endorses using tools to capture data as a by-product of care in ways that reduce administrative burden and empower clinicians, boosting their productivity and enabling them to make the most of their skills and expertise: “we need to work at national and local levels to put in place changes that remove waste and irritating tasks so that staff are able to focus on patient care.”
In the recommendations and strategic guide “The NHS Confederation Mental Health Services and COVID-19: Preparing for the Rise” (12/08/2020), the NHS Reset Campaign has considered what mental health services to prepare for – “suppressed, driven and exacerbate demand” which will of course impact on the area of crisis care.
S12 Solutions is an app and a website which helps approved mental health professionals (AMHPs) and section 12 (s.12) doctors to efficiently complete Mental Health Act (MHA) processes. The platform has evolved with changing health and social care needs to become the only system able to provide the following features:
- MHA Assessment Team organisation, by connecting AMHPs with nearby, available section s.12 doctors; S12 Solutions also has an API with the DHSC’s MHA Database of s.12 approved doctors, to ensure all doctors on the platform have active s.12 approval
- Electronic Statutory MHA Forms
- Claim creation and submission
- Claim payment
As of January 2023, S12 Solutions supports 7,600 AMHPs, s.12 doctors and claim processors and works with 75-80% of mental health trusts.
- Highly Commended in the Best Mental Health Partnership with the NHS category at the HSJ Partnership Awards 2021
- DTAC, ISO/IEC 27001:2013, ISO 9001:2015 and Cyber Essentials certified
- G-Cloud 13 supplier
- Investors in People Platinum accreditation
- NHS Innovation Accelerator and Clinical Entrepreneur programme alumni
S12 Solutions reduces administrative stress on the mental health crisis care pathway, allowing mental health professionals more time to focus on what they do best: supporting the person.
- Access to timely MHA assessment with the best available team for the person
- Efficient statutory form processes reduce errors, invalid detentions and repeat MHA assessments, while increasing AMHP productivity and allowing MHA administrators more time to focus on patients and their rights
- GDPR compliant claims are processed and paid promptly, and information is shared and stored securely