NHS problem

High blood pressure affects 10% of pregnancies (there are a total of 600,000 pregnancies every year in the UK). Standard care pathways require frequent hospital visits. This has significant cost implications, both to the NHS and to patients, and can cause anxiety to pregnant women as it creates a burden on women in terms of travel and time commitments, including time off from work and childcare. These women may also undergo unnecessary medical interventions, such as early delivery (induction of labour).

In more than 80% of these cases, this does not lead to any further, serious problems, whilst the remainder (fewer than 20%) may go on to have pre-eclampsia. Pre-eclampsia can lead to maternal death and to maternal, fetal and neonatal morbidity.

It is important, therefore, to monitor all pregnant women who have high blood pressure. The appropriate frequency of monitoring will depend, amongst other things, on the degree of hypertension.

The solution

HAMPTON is the latest product designed by K2ms. K2 Hampton™ is the new way to manage blood pressure in pregnancy in a digital age. It enables women with hypertension to remotely enter blood pressure and urine protein results from home and work, prompting them to contact their midwife when they enter an out of range result. K2 Hampton™ is a registered class I medical device and is registered with the MHRA. With K2 Hampton, the results can be viewed by the clinician in real time in hospital, highlighting results that require attention and allowing them to record actions that have occurred as a direct consequence. K2 Hampton blood pressure ranges default to the NICE cg107 guideline for hypertension in pregnancy. However, the clinician can also adapt these ranges individually for each woman to ensure that it is personalised for her needs.

  • More than 50% reduction in number of appointments for hypertension monitoring, and reduces amount of time per appointment
  • £300 average cost saving per patient per week according to basic health economic study
  • £50 million potential annual cost saving if scaled up across the UK