1 in 6 CYP are likely to have a mental health problem. Half of all mental disorders start by the age of 14, yet up to 70% of children & young people (CYP) don’t get access to timely, appropriate support. Anxiety, and other mood disorders, are by far the commonest problem affecting CYP. The demand for support has increased by 50% in the last 10 years, and by almost 80% during the pandemic period – leaving services under tremendous pressure such that they have no choice but to prioritise high need, higher risk cases. Current models of support are hard to scale, inconsistent, expensive and inefficient.
This means that a majority of children & young people and families are left to wait or simply do not receive support at the time of need which can encourage longer-term problems.
Lumi Nova: Tales of Courage is a therapeutic digital intervention (mobile game app) that provides instant access to therapeutic ‘best practice’ in the form of exposure therapy (NICE recommended treatment for anxiety disorders) to enable children aged 7-12 to self-manage their fears and worries. Lumi Nova:
- Provides instant access to therapeutic best practice – remotely, safely
- Standalone & scalable – does not require constant clinical oversight and can be adapted to diverse healthcare systems
- Non-stigmatising – ethical and immersive app-based mobile game
- True early intervention – supports children as young as 7 years of age where there aren’t many support options
- Real time data – provides real-time progress & outcomes data to professionals/practitioners
- Cost effective – helps meet unmet need and is more cost effective than current alternatives
- Delivers value at every point in the care pathway from early support provision, community support, triaging, waitlist management and when receiving specialist support.
- Solution package includes Lumi Nova and VitaMind Hub which is a secure online user management and real time data platform for professionals.
- Development funded by NHS England (via SBRI scheme)
- Class 1 medical device, registered with the MHRA
- NHS DTAC completed
- NHS DSP Toolkit published
- CyberEssentials certified
- Registered with the Information Commissioners’ Office
Real case studies: https://www.bfb-labs.com/case-studies