Businesses can apply for a share of £25 million in Smart funding to support innovative ideas with commercial potential in any area of the economy.
Smart is Innovate UK’s open grant funding programme. Up to £25 million is available to support the best game-changing and commercially viable ideas across a whole range of technology areas.
Projects can focus on any area of technology and on any area of the economy including arts, design and media, creative industries, and science and engineering. Projects in support of one of the grand challenges in the UK government’s Industrial Strategy are welcomed but this is not necessary.
The competition will support a range of projects from short feasibility studies to larger research and development projects and experimental development lasting up to 3 years.
Applicants must show they have:
- A game-changing idea that could lead to commercially viable new products, processes or services
- A strong business plan and a plan to deliver significant economic impact
- The competition closing date is at 11:59 on 8 January 2020
- Businesses of any size may apply
- Projects are expected to vary in size between £25,000 and £2 million