The London-based organisation, Newable (formerly known as Greater London Enterprise) works to unleash the extraordinary potential of Britain’s business men and women. Dedicated to encouraging business confidence in Britain, Newable builds resilience and sparks innovation through its full range of services, including: international trade advice, business loans, start-up and expansion advice, real estate management, digital enablement, governance, and risk management consultancy.
The Enterprise Europe Network (EEN) at Newable helps ambitious and innovative small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) make the most of business opportunities in the EU and beyond. EEN is the largest business network in the world, with more than 600 member organisations, including chambers of commerce and industry, technology centres, universities and development agencies, present in 66 countries.
In the UK, EEN is jointly funded by the European Commission and Innovate UK, working with SMEs to commercialise ideas and succeed in new markets.
The European Commission, through the Scientific Panel for Health (SPH), outlined the value of health to European society and the value of research to achieve health and economic prosperity Annual Conference of the Scientific Panel for Health, 2016). The SPH identified a number of challenges and opportunities for Europe that demand a new research and innovation framework and strategy. These include the global nature of health and disease, the empowerment of the patient, the changing demography and multi-generational population with age-specific needs, the revolution taking place in the understanding of disease and health allowing new preventative and personalized approaches based on causative pathways, the potential of big data for health and the emergence of smart technologies, the growing complexity of the regulatory environment.
The European Commission aims to increase cross-border research, cross-border consultation, and ensure that comprehensive policies facilitate health research in Europe (Better research for better health – A holistic approach to challenges & opportunities, 2016).
Successful innovation in health requires a strong enabling research environment to ensure replicability of results, and to ensure product safety and efficacy for patients. The current paths to market approval and the way clinical trials are conducted, are not sustainable anymore because of high costs and high failure attrition rates. Collaborations across business, academia and industry are needed to bring innovations from idea to market in Europe.
Enterprise Europe Network helps healthcare innovators and SMEs to:
- find business opportunities in Europe, promote their innovations across Europe and find the right partners for new research and development: access to over 4000 actual tech and commercial offers and requests, look for business partners to work with under licensing, manufacturing, distribution, exploitation or joint development partnership agreements;
- take part in a wide variety of networking events;
- learn how they are affected by EU policies, regulation and guidance;
- feedback European legislation to EU Commission;
- access funding & finance:
- Support to access UK & EU Funding: company screening, project suitability to specific programmes, proposal support (structure, budget, partner search);
- Business plan assessment and link to local finance providers: accelerators, VCs & angels, networks;
- get support with innovation
- Specific support for Beneficiaries of the SME Instrument;
- Enhancing Innovation Management Capacities of SMEs: in-depth support package with a tailor-made “innovation health check” (innovation management capacity assessment). Draw up of an action plan for the SME with recommendations, actions and milestones towards success.
If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter to keep up-to-date on the latest key European news and business opportunities, please click here.
For more information please contact the EEN Team at Newable T: +44(0)20 7403 0300; E: firstname.lastname@example.org