The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is inviting innovators and services that involve digital clinical triage to CQC’s Regulatory Sandbox.
The Sandbox is a collaborative space where providers, innovators, and CQC come together to:
- help to define what good quality care means (for digital clinical triage), and publish that for the rest of the sector
- develop CQC’s methodology
- register new types of service providers (where they fall within our Regulated Activities)
- provide the regulatory clarity and support required to deploy innovation safely in health and care services
CQC is testing this approach to policy development for three reasons:
- to support and encourage high quality care through innovation
- to cut the time it takes for CQC to regulate new types of service or new innovations in care
- to ensure our regulatory approach reflects the needs of providers and people who use services
CQC believes it can get better at developing how to regulate innovative services by building a team from across its functions to work with organisations we regulate to tackle new types of service together.
Triage is a central part of a patients’ pathway and this work will be looking at services that deliver an element of triage through a digital method, this could include accessing specialist advice and clinical decision support. The CQC wants to understand what good looks like in this type of service, and will do this by working with providers, innovators and other stakeholders.
CQC developed some additional prompts for triage apps used by online primary care providers earlier this year. This round seeks to build on that knowledge in partnership with providers across care settings to validate the prompts for wider use.
Benefits of joining
Providers will be able to:
- shape and define how the sector is measured and help improve CQC’s regulatory methodology
- learn in a network of providers and innovators that are delivering the same service
- be recognised by your key stakeholders
- register with CQC if required
- equip yourself to navigate CQC and other regulators
There is no funding associated with the Sandbox except for reimbursement for expenses. Entering the sandbox will not prejudice the rating by CQC or other regulatory outcomes from CQC.