18-30% of GP appointments are for Musculoskeletal (MSK) problems and a large proportion are for new or recurrent injury /conditions. Every year 7% of a GP population will attend for new or recurrent back pain at least once, and one in five people will consult a GP about a musculoskeletal problem despite the evidence that most will get better with good self-management and without treatment (Arthritis Research UK, 2009; NHSE, 2017).
Most (95%) are prescribed ineffective medication (unit cost £33) and 20% will be referred to Physiotherapy. A CCG (1m pop) in England will spend £36m per year treating back pain alone.
getUBetter is an evidence-based, CE marked, digital self-management platform for all common musculoskeletal injuries and conditions. We help organisations, such as CCG’s, to provide a digital first approach for their MSK pathways. Each element of the pathway is configured to the local health system and delivered to their population.
- getUBetter can support about 20% of all GP appointments
- Reduce GP new and follow up appointments by >13%
- Reduce MSK Physiotherapy referrals by 20%
- Save every CCG (360,000 population) £1.96m in direct cost savings for back pain alone.
- This saving is doubled when you include all common MSK conditions – £3.92m